HANDGUN LICENSE CLASS DETAILS
Taught by Texas DPS Licensed Instructors
At SafetyLTC we pride ourselves in creating a no stress, fun and supportive LTC class environment.
LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN PROCESS:
- Complete the online application
- Get electronic fingerprints by L1 Solutions or Morphotrust USA.
- Successfully complete handwritten and shooting proficiency test. After completion, send in the signed CHL-100 to Texas DPS.
This may be done in any order.
WHAT TO BRING:
- A handgun and 50 rounds of brass ammunition (You may rent one of our handguns if you do not own one)
- A valid Texas Driver's License or Texas ID Card
- Pen & paper for notes
- Clothing – Preferably a T-Shirt (Casings are hot and may fall onto your chest. Women – nothing low cut). Optional Jacket– room may get cold & may be used to protect skin in the range.
- Please ensure your gun and magazines are unloaded.
**24-hour notice is required to reschedule due to the popularity of this course. Failure to provide us with this notice will result in forfeiture of your payment.**
For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the training coordinator at 346-280-9749. We look forward to seeing you.
COME RANGE READY
- Any handgun, semi-automatic or revolver of any caliber in good repair and have no modification that will make the handgun less safe. Students can bring the weapon and/or ammunition in the class. Ammunition must be brass casings only. All magazines must be Unloaded.
- 50 rounds of commercially produced ammunition. Brass (FMJ) casing ONLY. NO reloaded, hand loaded, steel casing or surplus ammunition allowed. (Ammunition available for sale)
- Handgun Rental - If you do not have a handgun, you may rent one of the instructor's handguns for $30.00-includes 50 rounds of ammo.
- Safety glasses-(available to borrow) Prescription glasses can be worn
- Ear protection that covers your ears (available to borrow)
- Footwear that entirely covers both feet
- Baseball cap (optional)
FIREARMS RANGE & QUALIFICATION
As mandated by the Texas DPS
The Texas Concealed Handgun License Proficiency Test is not a difficult shooting test to pass. It is a timed test designed with plenty of time to take your shots accurately.
Handgun LTC Requirements
There is no minimum caliber to legally carry as long as it is a legal pistol.
There is no longer a classification of concealed handgun license. If you qualify with a revolver you can carry a semi-automatic.
All handguns will be inspected by instructors for the safety of the shooter, instructors, and other students. Unsafe handguns will not be allowed for the shooting proficiency test.
Any student not following safe gun handling procedures on the range or in the classroom will be asked to leave the classroom and range. NO REFUNDS for safety violations.
Number of Rounds Fired
The shooting test requires 50 rounds of ammunition
License-To-Carry Shooting Proficiency Distances
The LTC Shooting test is fired at three distances:
3 yards – 20 rounds fired
7 yards – 20 rounds fired
15 yards – 10 rounds fired
LTC Passing Score
The Texas LTC shooting proficiency passing score is 175 points out of 250 points or a score of 70%. The state allows for three chances to pass the shooting test.
LTC Shooting Proficiency Test Scoring
5 points – shots fired in the X, 10, 9, & 8 rings
4 points – shots fired in the 7 ring
3 points – shots fired outside the 7 ring but on the silhouette
0 points – shots fired outside the silhouette or off the target paper
Shots that hit just outside the ring but break the line count as the higher score
NOT INCLUDED IN CLASS FEE
- State of TX fees – Fees sent into the state of Texas with your application for your License to Carry (you must register within 2yrs of class completion) See State Fees for detailed pricing schedule.
- Fingerprint fees – $9.95 MUST be scheduled through state-approved vendor
- Photo fees – Purchase passport photos or use your TXDL photo at no cost.